Artists' Workshop​

New Smyrna Beach

Our History

In February of 1957, fifteen creative souls responded to a notice in the local paper inviting anyone interested in forming an art group to come together for lunch at a local Italian restaurant.  Before the meal was over, the idea of establishing a local art league had grown from just a hope to a full-fledged commitment to really make it happen.  Together they formed New Smyrna’s first chartered art group in March 1958.

The enterprising little group approached the City Fathers and urged them to find available space.  An upstairs room at 126 Canal Street, above the Parks and Recreation Department, was offered and readily accepted.  The space was voluntarily renovated by the group in exchange for its use, and the Artists’ Workshop had its first home.

Three months after forming, the group had grown to 51 members who decided to put on their first show and public exhibit.  The Bank of New Smyrna permitted their walls to become the gallery to hang 43 oils and sketches.  The public was invited and 300 guests showed up!  The first-ever art show in New Smyrna Beach had been received with great enthusiasm, and the Annual Membership Exhibition has continued to this day.

By 1978, with over 200 members and growing, the group had outgrown the Parks & Recreation room and again approached the City Council to request the large room above the Chamber of Commerce at 115 Canal StreetIn 1980, the Gallery downstairs adjacent to the offices of the Chamber, was opened and exists in the same space today.

In 2008, the Artists’ Workshop and the Marine Discovery Center pursued with the Wildlife Foundation of Florida (WFF) and the City of New Smyrna Beach, an ECHO Grant to renovate the old New Smyrna Beach High School Administration building on the land now owned by the State of Florida off the North Causeway on Barracuda Blvd.  The Grant provided matching funds for the renovation.

Occupying today some 4,000 square feet of this building, the Artists’ Workshop has grown to over 500 members and has enjoyed a three-fold growth in the number of classes offered and other programs.

The Artists’ Workshop of New Smyrna Beach is a 501 (c) (3) Non Profit educational facility registered under s.496.405 with the Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services. #CH34968

Board of Directors

May 2019 - April 2020

Cheryl Faber

President

Susie Means

First Vice President

Carole Ryan

Second Vice President

Pat Lentine

Recording Secretary

Melissa Schwenn

Corresponding Secretary

Donna Burggraff

Treasurer

Stephanie Kelly

Administrative Assistant

Committee Chairs

Head Chairperson in bold

Art Classes

  • Ruth Squitieri
  • Liv Witherow
  • Cheryl Faber

Community Exhibits

  • Bob Stinziano
  • Patty Stinziano

Directory

  • Melissa Schwenn

Registrar

  • Melissa Schwenn

Gallery on Canal

  • Liz Clayton

High School Show

  • Gail Waters

Historian

  • Patty Stinziano

Library

  • Kathy Kerrigan

Maintenance

  • Patrick Rausch

MDC Liaison

  • Joe Anglin

Newsletter

  • Mary Peschel-Herlehy

Publicity

  • Ruth Squitieri

Studio Gallery

  • Joanne Reilly

Volusia County Cultural Alliance

  • Betty Parker

Members’ Show

  • Melissa Schwenn

Workshops

  • Gail Waters
  • Stephanie Kelly

Grant

  • Anne Dall

Email artistsworkshopNSB@gmail.com to request a printed directory or to update your information.

Meetings

Librarian’s corner

Book club is suspended until further notice.

Read More →