Plein air painting is about leaving the four walls of your studio behind and
You will learn a lot more by painting from a real-life scene or setup than a photo reference, as we all know, as the camera does not capture how we see, and makes all the shadows really dark. You will be amazed how many colors you will detect once you are outside and REALLY look!
1. A short term class
2. Informal group outings
3. Watching professional artists
March 21 & 22 (Rain Date will be March 23rd)
9:00 am to 4:00 pm both days
Students will have a good time experiencing this new but very old way of creating art en “Plein Air”. I will do a short demo every day. Students will paint every afternoon. We will have a short critique at the end of each day. The first day we will discover how to choose a scene to paint at a beautiful little park on the river filled with lots of great spots to paint. We will discuss what makes a good painting with the use of color, value and design. The next day we will meet at my home on the ocean to paint. The class will finish up with wine and cheese and a final critique.
Class is limited to 9 students. Beginners are welcome. I will teach in oils but if you paint in acrylics that will also work. Two 8 x 10 canvases and view finder will be supplied for each student. A list of supplies and directions will be sent once the deposit is paid.
The total cost is $125.00. A deposit of $60.00 will be due by March 15th. Please send it to me at:
Cathy Berse, 4375 S. Atlantic Ave. A1, New Smyrna Beach, Fl. 32169
Any other questions: e-mail to email@example.com, or call 386-423-7368
East Coast Plein Air (ECPA)/Artists’ Workshop Plein Air artists paint every Tuesday morning from 9am til noon. Bring a lunch for a nice social hour after painting along with a show-and-tell and critique!
Rick Orr (pictured left) can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
They usually have a good size group, from 5 to 15!
Over 30 artists have been invited to paint for one week at the lovely Wekiva River. More than 300 paintings will result from their hard work and be on view and on sale at the Wekiva Island (directions here). AWI members Cathy Berse and I, Ruth Squitieri, will be participating and invite you to make a day of it and stop by to watch all of us paint!
Sunday – March 11th
- Artists arrive for their week long stay at Wekiwa Springs State Park
- All Day: Artists painting all day around the Island
- 5-9pm: Open gallery at Wekiva Island & live music
- 6-7pm: Preview event with complimentary beer and wine + craft beer tasting
- 7-8pm: Live Auction – Register Here
- All Day: Artists “paint in” around the bar
- Evening Nocturne Painting at the Bar
- 5-9pm: Pasta Bar, $10.95/person
- 10a-4pm: Open gallery of work created throughout the week
- 12-2pm: Quick Draw open event
- 6-7pm: Private patron reception at Wekiva Island Wet Room/Gallery
- 7-11pm: All inclusive GALA dinner with live music, beer/wine and wine tasting event.
Purchase your Gala tickets, $40/person or $70/couple
Sunday – March 18th Stop by early for the final chance to view and buy work before our artists depart!
Happy Painting! Ruth