The holidays are almost upon us! For those of you that still are looking for the perfect gift, how about supporting the local arts community and your co-artists? This month the gallery on Canal Street is still exhibiting the judged competition of "Think Grand, Create Small". There are wonderful small and reasonably priced original works of art, photography, and clay pieces for sale. Why not look for that perfect and unique Christmas gift there?
The gallery is open on Tuesday, December 19, thru Thursday, December 21 for viewing the art, the award pieces and for shopping!
The Gallery will be closed for the holidays from Friday, December 22nd through January 3rd, 2018.
(A reminder from JoAnn Reilly in regards to the exhibit: Dropoff of art and pickup will be Friday, January 5, 9am-11am)
Which brings us to the new, first exhibit of the new year (2018 already? Oh my!)
First Saturday (Art Walk) is January 6, with the first theme show of the new year "DEPTH, DRAMA, LUMINOSITY". Please send JoAnn your label info now for inclusion in this show.
The Gallery is open for IMAGES on Friday, January 26 through Sunday, January 28. This is a great time to host. As a featured artist you can bring in other works to sell on your day hosting and take them home at the end of your day. You can paint outside in front of the gallery to attract people and sell off your easel or extra works you have with you.
For more information on this contact the Gallery Chairman, JoAnn Reilly by email email@example.com
Talking about the new year, here are some events you might want to mark down on your calendar!
1. The new class schedule covering the Winter/Spring season will be ready at the Members meeting in January 2018. There are many exciting opportunities and ways to discover new media and techniques, and get together with your old friends again after the rush of the holidays!
2. The Open Studio with a live model on Tuesday evenings is starting again full force on Tuesday, Jan 9. Please contact Christophe Cardot to join for $55 for 4 evenings! He has 3 new models that we can draw and paint from life.
3. 42nd Annual, IMAGES: A Festival of the Arts runs from January 26th to the 28th, 2018 (Friday 1PM – 5PM | Saturday 9AM – 5PM | Sunday 10AM – 4PM) at Riverside Park in New Smyrna Beach. It's FREE and open to the public, and you might spot some of our members exhibiting there!
4. Here is something that I am really looking forward to. The Museum of Art in Deland (600 N. Woodland Blvd., Deland, Phone: (386)-734-4371) is installing an exhibition titled The Magical World of M. C. Escher. It runs from January 26 to March 25, 2018.
Here are 3 things you might not know about MC Escher:
1. He loved architecture and Islamic art.
2. Hippies refer to him as the "godfather of psychedelic art"
3. He was a very quiet guy, only interested in his work
WISHING YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON, MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A GREAT NEW YEAR!
Happy Painting - Ruth
The AWI Blog is written by Ruth Squitieri, Publicity Chair, AWI. You may contact Ruth with comments, questions or suggestions at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise, feel free to comment to each individual blog post directly.